I think this question is asked allot by people……….just not out loud. It is one of those questions that is almost too scary to think about and too awkward to bring up. If you have considered yourself a Christ follower who wants to admit they are not sure, read on. Let me give some help here in actually determining this.
So the genuine evidence of having accepted God’s forgiveness for sin through Jesus Christ and accepting Him as Lord is the presence of the Holy Spirit within us. So it would be nice to be able to have a “Holy Spirit detector” that would “beep” when the Holy Spirit was present. And even though no one (not even Apple has an App for that) has invented this yet, lets look at the Holy Spirit “detectors” we are given in the Bible.
1. Romans 8:16 says “God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children.” So the indwelling Holy Spirit should be reassuring us.
2. The book of I John is virtually all about the reality of salvation. I John 5:13 states “My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God’s Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion.” So read it. Here is a sample:
I John 1:3-10 “Here’s how we can be sure that we know God in the right way: Keep his commandments.4 If someone claims, “I know him well!” but doesn’t keep his commandments, he’s obviously a liar. His life doesn’t match his words.5 But the one who keeps God’s word is the person in whom we see God’s mature love. This is the only way to be sure we’re in God.6 Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived.7 My dear friends, I’m not writing anything new here. This is the oldest commandment in the book, and you’ve known it from day one. It’s always been implicit in the Message you’ve heard.8 On the other hand, perhaps it is new, freshly minted as it is in both Christ and you—the darkness on its way out and the True Light already blazing!9 Anyone who claims to live in God’s light and hates a brother or sister is still in the dark.10 It’s the person who loves brother and sister who dwells in God’s light and doesn’t block the light from others.”
So we see here keeping God’s commandments/trying to live like Jesus, loving people, sharing God with others.
3. I Corinthians 2:14 “The nonspiritual self, just as it is by nature, can’t receive the gifts of God’s Spirit. There’s no capacity for them. They seem like so much silliness. Spirit can be known only by spirit—God’s Spirit and our spirits in open communion.”
4. 2 Peter 2:7-8 “But that good man Lot, driven nearly out of his mind by the sexual filth and perversity, was rescued. Surrounded by moral rot day after day after day, that righteous man was in constant torment.” Do you react to the sin you see around you in the culture? When you see blatant sin in a movie does your spirit react?
5. Do you actually enjoy giving to the Lord’s work? Do you give generously of your time, talent, and treasury?
6. Do you sin less now than you did prior to receiving Christ?
7. Have other people seen the “fruit of the Spirit” at work in your life?
Anyway, these are just some of the ways. If you still have doubts, pursue them so you can come to a place of peace about this.